Monday, November 10, 2008

Rest, Relaxation, and.....Politics, yuck!!! (This is not normal for me, you must read on!)

Wanted to let everyone know that hubby has made it past the 60 day mark!! Whoo hoo!! Let's all rejoice in unison!! Go hubby go!! :) I know, Im cheesy at times.

It was a good weekend. I did a whole lot of nothin! And enjoyed every single flipping minute of it! Should I have done housework? Oh yes I should have, but I did not! It was my first weekend where I did not have to get up at the ass crack of dawn on a Saturday only to return home close to midnight. It was fabulous! So, I guess you could say that I was lazy, lazy, lazy! Oh well! I will definitely make up for it within the next couple of days. I am trying to get winterguard stuff going and I get to clean the house all this week. In preparation for.....drum roll please....



Wait for it.....



Wait for it.....



(Kind of sounds like Im talking to Blaze holding a piece of food) ....



And......



My neice and nephew are spending the ENTIRE weekend with me! Im so excited!!! I even get to pick them up from their babysitter. This is the first time that they will have spent an entire weekend with Aunt Meghann. I cant wait! I will take lots of pictures too by the way :) I want everyone to know this is a huge step for my brother. He was really reluctant about me babysitting (I think I mentioned this before) because of Blaze. He thought that he was way too big to be around his kids. He just gets a little excited sometimes, but will eventually wind down and be okay. I think my nephew was only knocked down a couple times the last time I babysat. Poor Blaze got the most...he was whacked upside the head with a truck a couple of times. I promise he's okay!

On another note, this is not something I usually discuss, but feel it necessary to vent and possibly get some feedback...My parents and I got into a huge argument on Saturday, right in the middle of the restaurant, about Politics. Politics!! Yeah, it's done, it's over, but they are bitter. Not my problem. I tried to drop the subject because I had been trying to avoid it since the election and had done well thus far. Not really sure how we got on the subject, but we did. Well, I do, but I wont go into that. It was kind of stupid. By the way, my parents reached an incredibly new low on Saturday. I never thought I would hear the words come out of their mouths. Okay, let me rephrase this. I never thought I would hear the words come out of my dad's mouth. But wait, I apparantly have forgotten the town/county that I grew up in! I really hope no one takes this personally, because these are NOT my beliefs. The words flowed so easily right there, in the middle of the restaurant. My dad says, "Do you really want a Black running the White House and our Country?". I immediately was on the defensive. I told my dad he was racist and that I was not going to sit and listen to him talk like that. So he then says, "You really dont want a President who associates with terrorists, do you?" Really, dad, did you even try to do any research?? Because apparantly not. I really could feel my blood boiling!

So I give my two cents about their candidates. Since, of course we were going to play that game. All I said was that I didnt trust Palin and her ideals. So my mother jumps down my throat. I try to drop the subject, but she insists. So, I tell her that I do not feel like a Government should have the right to control what a woman does with her body. I truly believe that a woman has the right to choose. So what does she throw in my face?? "I cant believe that you have been trying so hard to have a baby, but you feel like other women can just kill theirs because they want too. There are other options!" Whoa....so you mean to tell me that if a woman is raped, she should not be able to have the decision to abort the baby? My mother says no, she shouldnt.

Im a strong supporter of Pro-Choice. Obviously the parents are not. Im a strong supporter of Gay/Lesbian rights. Who am I to decide what love is? My parents are not. There are so many other things that we disagree on, it's crazy. It never should have progressed to what it did, but they took it to a whole other level. I really thought that my mother was going to be in tears because her baby girl has different views than she does. I think she almost was. I even got the lecture of "You were not brought up this way. You were raised in a strong Christian church. You should not be supporting these things." Well, newsflash, people grow up and actually experience different worlds. I just could not believe the conversation.

I know there are other people out there who are conservative and I have no problem with that. I do not usually discuss politics at all with people. I just dont like to. Who really does? I was just really mad and felt like I was being attacked. Obviously that was not the whole conversation, but just a small piece. Wish I could have had a recorder on hand!

If you stuck with all of that, bravo! And thank you for listening/reading my vent! If you have any insight/comment please feel free to let me know. I will try to not take offense so long as they are not personal attacks on my beliefs :) Im pretty open minded, I promise. I will definitely take the time to hear anyone out for whatever reason. So I have went on long enough...

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my...during your vent on the political disagreement I just smiled and shook my head. My parents are exactly the same! Obviously they aren't racist because well of course my sister married a black guy and they love him and his family but they are all about the terrorist thing.

I asked them one night what they thought about some of the things Palin said in interviews, like the fact that she had issues completeing sentences on a few occasions, and they had no idea what I was talking about. They had watched the interviews but didn't find anything missing there. No comment. lol.

We no longer talk about politics. haha.

Faith said...

One of the best things about these blogs is they give our thoughts and emotions room to breathe. Good for you.

And WHOA re the kids coming this weekend!!!

Zoe said...

I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and it must be difficult when your own parents attack you like that.

Have fun with the kids Aunty Meg..oh and congratulations to your hubby for making it to 60 days!