Monday, February 9, 2009

Parents these days

I was pretty fortunate growing up that my parents were pretty involved in everything that I did. I was involved in 4-H from 3rd grade through the summer after my freshman year of college (which is the total amount of time you can be in), I was a cheerleader 5th, 6th, 9th, 10th, and 11th, and was in the marching band all four years of high school, which of course, is where I started colorguard. I also was in the winterguard for my junior and senior years of high school (they were the first two years our school had the program). And I also continued on into college with an independent winterguard.

My parents were with me every step of the way through all of this. They attended, assisted, cheered, praised, hugged, laughed, and cried. They both had full-time jobs and still made the time to put in extra time to help out with whatever they could in the activites that I was in. Im not going to lie, I was a busy child and if it was offered, I tried it at least once. All except for brownies/girl scouts :)

Like I said, maybe I was just extremely fortunate that my parents made it a point to be involved. I almost feel sorry for my guard kids. Maybe this generation of parents was not brought up the same way as mine were?? I dont really know. I honestly have one set of parents, plus a mom out of my 9 kids who have made any attempt whatsoever to help us with this season. It's actually pretty sad that we have so little parent participation. I understand that times are hard, but all I am asking is that you just be there for your kids!! I mean is that really so much to ask?

The really sad part....my parents have devoted more time to this season than the other parents. And Im the director!! I mean really...if you dont have the money to drive to contests, carpool!! These kids need the support to get them ready to perform!

Now...the kids didnt do horribly this weekend. Our score went up, we moved up a couple spots in placing. We were 11th out of 20 this weekend. It was definitely not our greatest show. Everything we had spent the last week cleaning, pretty much looked like we hadnt touched it. But...we upped our score.

We go out again this weekend and there are only 16 in our class, so I am hoping top 8 :) That would be awesome!! That would help us to be on our way to getting into that top 20 at State Prelims and move us on to State Finals :) Well...without further ado....these are my kids!

No comments: