Tuesday, July 21, 2009

First OB Appt

Was extremely uneventful...I totally thought that he would check on the baby with an ultrasound since he had never actually seen or heard it just to make sure everything is coming along swimmingly...but apparently not. I hadn't had my yearly exam since last July, so he of course had to do one. He said that he wouldn't be able to hear the heartbeat without the actual ultrasound, so he didn't even try.

I got lots of new Mom information about the hospital and insurance stuff (ugh!) and another book to read through, but other than that, uneventful. I was definitely disappointed that nothing more was done. It makes me really worried because I don't go back for another 4 weeks. Am I worrying over nothing? Am I just being selfish because I wanted to see our baby again and make sure he/she is growing like he/she is supposed to? Maybe I should have a little more confidence in my OB, but after all that we have been through, I can't keep from having that worried feeling constantly there.

It looks like my weeks actually change on Thursdays now too. My OB looked at his little calendar and said that I will be 11 weeks on this Thursday. So...trying to keep the worrying at bay until August 19th, where hopefully we will actually get to see our little one again.

4 comments:

Melissa Griffin said...

OK - heres my advice - this is what I did....I asked to be seen every other week since I had a miscarriage a few years ago and since I did IVF and took a lot to get here..I told them that until the 12th week I was not comfortable waiting a long time and they were soo understanding and have seen me if not every week, every other. AND, I asked for an u/s the first appt that you just had just to dbl check and then I asked for an appt in between to do a fetal hb check to make sure it was still ok and they did that too!

I think you just need to tell them what you want and what would make you feel the most comfortable and tell them why and I am so sure they will be accomodating!

VA Blondie said...

It is difficult to make the switch from IF patient in an RE's office (with lots of attention and visits) to a normal OB patient. Normal OB patients are seen about every 4 weeks. And OBs will not do a whole lot of ultrasounds. I had one about 12 weeks, and I do not expect another until about 20 weeks. Unless you have had miscarriages in the past, they will most likely treat you like a normal patient.

What surprised me the most is that people who got pregnant normally are not seen until late in the first trimester. So you are already ahead of the game. Just saying...

Anonymous said...

The secret to getting an early ultra sound is to say you are crampy. Worth a try! ;)

Sarah said...

Just cry. People dont like it when you cry. =)