Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's what I do

I feel like I am living vicariously through my clients at the present moment. And I tell you what, it really flipping sucks! I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I am SURROUNDED by pregnant women and all things baby when I am at work. I currently have two clients who are pregnant. One client is 7 months and the other is due on Saturday. Yes, that's right, Saturday. Then, to top it off, I have another client who has 3 children and the youngest is only 2 months.

Bleh, bleh, bleh!!! I mean really. Remember that fragile little place I was talking about? Oh, it is slowly crumbling and almost burst into flames today, but it is still hanging in there. I am actually kind of proud of myself.

Since my clients do not have ANYONE else to count on, I get the job :) which, you know, is what I am there for. So guess what that means? Oh yes, Doctor office visits, WIC appointments, breastfeeding classes, handing out vouchers when we meet so they can redeem them at the Little Lambs office for cool baby things, and so on and so forth. (See, surrounded)

Today was a challenge. My client who is due on Saturday went to the Doctor and wanted me to come back with her. At the end of the appointment, they wanted to monitor the baby for a while to make sure her heartrate was good and she was moving around well. The nurse asks me if I had ever seen one of these before. I, of course, answered no. When she put the bands around my clients stomach, there it was, that little heartbeat. The tears started to well up in my eyes, but amazingly I pushed them back. And of course they had to monitor the baby for over 3o minutes, so I had to sit there and listen to that little heartbeat the whole time.

The sad part, this client has no one to be there with her when she has the baby. She is scared and rightly so. I can't even imagine being all by myself and giving birth. My other client is the same way and is really scared about having the baby by herself also. Of course, I will be there if they want me to be. That's what I do. I guess I will have to keep living vicariously through them....which, by the way, kind of sucks.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Those girls are so lucky to have such a strong and supportive person by their side! You will be blessed for doing what you do, even if it sucks in the process ;)

Christina said...

Wow, that's so tough. I can't imagine the strength it takes to stand there for 30 minutes and listen to that heartbeat, but on the bright side, you are probably a comfort to the girls.

Thanks for welcoming me back from my blogging hiatus! Bad month...

To answer your question, my new RE is Jarrett. He is in Indy but being in Lafayette, he does have a small sattelite operation here and in other parts of the state as well. I've heard mixed reviews but am looking forward to a new perspective. I loved Dr. Henry until the last two cycles or so. He goes South, too.

GL! I'll be interested to see how your saving is going. We're saving right now too and hoping for IVF in January.