Tuesday, January 19, 2010

We are home!!

Now that we are finally home and getting settled...I am going to do a quick post. I will try to get caught up on everyone's blogs here before too long. I think I am starting to get in the hang of things...

However, I am a little frustrated. I have been breastfeeding since day 1. He will occasionally have a good run, but then yesterday, he would not nurse from me at all. Now, I have been pumping since the day he was born and I am going to be completely honest, it's getting old. I know he is premature and small, but it would be nice to not have to spend an extra 15 minutes pumping after I have spent at least 30 minutes with him either trying to nurse, or taking a bottle (of course, it's all from me via bottle...but still). I am at a loss of what to do. And it's frustrating. And by the time I get done with all of that, I have maybe an hour to relax before we have to start it all over again. Sorry, I have to vent.

I know that he is eating well, I would just like for him to start taking more from just me and cutting out the bottle. I know it's going to take time, but it's hard when one time he will go for 30 minutes with me and the next wont even latch at all.

So, other than that, things are going great. I can't believe he is actually here! I am definitely enjoying every minute that I get with him because I know our time together is going to fly by. :(

Oh yes, we came home on Friday afternoon from the NICU :) Yay!! And I leave you with a picture...

8 comments:

Sara said...

Meg, I understand your frustration as it was the same for me. I don't know if you can do this with him being a preemie, but I finally went on a "bottle strike" with Claire. She either got it from me, or didnt. What the LC's say is true, if you don't give them a choice, when they are truly hungry, they *will* eat. Did you deliver at the womens hospital? The LC's there are AMAZING, and I loved being able to walk in to the Great Beginnings office and get the support and advice I needed. I'd definitely suggest doing so and telling them your frustrations.


Also, I went to my first LLL meeting when Claire was 3 or so weeks old. At my breaking point because it was so hard! They gave me tons of support and encouragement, and said one thing that continued to resonate with me. It gets easier at 6 weeks or so. Of course, that seemed like a LIFETIME back then, but I kept on thinking about their comments, and it really *did* get easier then!

Good luck! He's gorgeous! Also, if you ever need help, please feel free to ask. I don't blog a ton anymore, but I am on facebook. Sara Furlong-Evitts

Anonymous said...

What a cutie patootie! I love his little head of hair - so cute :).

Congrats again!

Chelle said...

He is so adorable!

I remember having those exact same frustrations when my daughter was born. I eventually just went to pumping. Mostly because my girls never adjusted to nursing and it made me curl my toes every time I'd get her on there because it hurt so bad, and then because it meant Hubs could help out during the night so I could try to sleep. Honestly, I don't miss the chaos of those first days. The constant feeding is tiresome. That isn't to say I won't do it again, but I remember it was really hard adjusting the first couple months.

It does get better and easier as time goes on. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations!!!

Nic said...

He is adorable!! Pleased you are home!

Tammy said...

Congratulations on the arrival of your son! Many blessings to your family.

God, My Savior Forever! said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your beautiful son! He is adorable:D Even though things didn't happen the way you had planned..I'm pretty sure that's all in the past now and you are simply loving on him every second of the day!!!!

Mrs Woggie said...

He is perfect!

Congratulations.

How are you going with the feeding? It took us 9 long weeks to establish. I hope you and your perfect little boy are going well.