Friday, October 22, 2010

Ear Infections...

We have them....again. Mind you, A just got done with an antibiotic for the last double ear infection this past Saturday. Not cool. This is the third time in just 3 months that A has been diagnosed with an ear infection (or two). Things are not looking so well for my little man.

The first one, I picked him up from the sitter and thought that he had an ear full of baby food that for whatever reason, they missed. Yea, that definitely wasn't baby food the more I got to looking. So, of course, by that time I couldn't go to our Pediatrician and we had to go to Urgent Care (which means you sit for a couple hours just to see the Dr. and then sit in the room for about an hour to see him again...pretty much like the ER).

A kept getting colds through September and then developed a nasty cough a few weeks ago. When I took him in to our Pediatrician, we were told he had a double ear infection and was put on a little bit stronger dose of Am.ox.i.cillen. Went back to the Dr. last Thursday and was told that the infection was definitely pretty much gone. We finished the antibiotic on Saturday.

Which brings us to Tuesday evening. I had to run to the store and A was not having it being in his stroller and immediately had tears when he started fussing. Of course, this was not normal. When we got home I took his temp and gave him some tylenol. He wanted to go to sleep by 6:15 (again, not normal) Of course, I thought it had to be that he was getting more teeth (remember we just finished antibiotic). Had a fever through the night but was then better the next morning. Wednesday was a good day. Thursday (yesterday) I noticed after he woke up that we had a nice full ear....again. So, hubby got the pleasure of heading to the Dr. again. And we are diagnosed with another, wonderful, double ear infection. And back on antibiotic.

My poor little man. I wish there was more that I could do for him. I wish the dang infections would just go away. I really don't want to have to put tubes in his ears, but it looks like we might be heading that direction. Bummer.

On a brighter note, my hubby is on vacation starting tomorrow all the way through Halloween. Should be a good week! My living room/dining room/hallway is getting painted! Yay! And I plan to put him to work doing lots of cleaning that I can't seem to EVER get done :) Oh, and we will be camping over Halloween weekend. It should be a really nice weekend! A is going as the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz because my neice is going as Dorothy! I will post pictures later!

2 comments:

VA Blondie said...

I know how hard the ear infections are. We get them routinely, too. It seems like every time baby gets a cold, he gets an ear infection. And we seem to get a cold once a month.

I hope baby feels better soon!

Chelle said...

Ear infections are the worst. My daughter got them back to back like that last winter too, so I can completely sympathize. Poor little kids. :( If you do end up going the tube route, I promise you won't regret it. It is definitely worth it. I was a bit apprehensive about it at first too, but in retrospect it was a great thing.